Thursday, July 2, 2009

Election Fever

Now that the day for Philippine elections is imminent, it seems all the campaigning has hit a fever pitch. There are a few things about our country’s electoral process that really bug me though…

First, why are congressional representatives from party list groups limited to only three from each group? Wouldn’t it make sense to have more representatives from party list groups instead of sorting through all of the traditional politicians who insist on deceiving us, covering their lies and anti-people track records with catchy slogans and jingles? In my humble opinion, I think we would benefit more from party list representatives (the good ones at least) who have concrete platforms, programs and plans coz then we know that they would be working for the masses and aren’t out to fill their pockets with ill-gotten wealth. [I’m looking at all you Trapos out there!]

Second, why don’t we have a law banning political candidates from using money coming from their own pockets to fund their campaign costs? Isn’t it more feasible to force aspiring politicians to look for outside financial help instead of allowing them to spend their own money? That way, they have one less reason to justify their pilfering ways once they’re sworn into office. [I’m still looking at all you Trapos out there!] I know this probably won’t stop them from stealing and cheating anyway but at least this will equal the playing field just a little more, giving the a small amount of leverage to not-so-rich hopefuls.

Third, and I’m defending the environment this time, why haven’t incumbent officials banned the use of too much, if not all posters (such a waste of paper! Huhuhu), most of which are pasted everywhere. They’re not only wasting the lives of all the trees that were cut down to make all the paper used for their stupid posters, they’re also littering the streets with these eyesores! I hate seeing dirty walls and I’m sorry to say their faces mar the relatively clean (loosely used) facades on our streets. Why don’t they use banners, which they could hang on street corners or wherever, as long as they’re not on each and every one? We get it -- they’re running for office. They don’t have to inundate us with all these pathetic attempts to ingratiate themselves with us. A smattering of banners would be enough. At least you can recycle banners. Paper posters, once pasted on the walls, can no longer be used again. What a waste! Not to mention really hideous!

I’ve already forgotten exactly how the whole system works coz it’s been ages since we studied that in my major political science subjects but I honestly think we could do something to improve it. Don’t even get me started on all the cheating, vote buying, killing-sprees, harassments, bullying and other major offense these Trapos do. I don’t have enough time and I really don’t have the patience to discuss all of that. It just gets me all riled up and it’s just not worth all the drama. Needless to say, most of us are aware of what these Trapos are up to and I hope we’re responsible enough to share this knowledge with those who are less informed.

Good luck to those candidates who are seriously out to serve the country and our people. I hope you will prevail. To the rest whose intentions are less than commendable (understatement!), I hope you’ll find yourself at the bottom of the barrel come election day. I urge all voters to choose your bets wisely. Do your research and then trust your instincts. I have faith in your discerning ability. Heaven help all of us if we fail to live up to our full potential as responsible voters. We might all end up in the dump if that happens. It stinks in the dump! That’s all I’m saying! But I guess you already know that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chitika