Saturday, November 13, 2010

Why Prayer & Faith Should Always Go Together

Today is the second day of the Novena for Our Virgin of the Rule and as expected, our church was packed with people -- fellow pilgrims like us who wanted to show how much we love our Blessed Virgin Mother and share in her feast. It was exhilarating being back in church again after a week's absence but more so because of the solemnity of this occasion. Before I put my foot in my mouth again, yes, every mass celebrated in our church is solemn but this was doubly so because of the upcoming feast day of Mama Mary, our patron saint, Virgin of the Rule.

I was touched by so many things that were said and done by the priests and the people around me. First, it was amazing to hear that when our patron, Mama Mary, was brought to a nearby town in Cordova, so many people were moved to tears and she was welcome with such adoration that the priest couldn't help but share it with us. I am fully aware how miraculous Mama Mary is and how our patron answers prayers. She truly intercedes for us in more ways than one. I remember breaking down in front of her in 2007, I can't remember if it was November or December but all I know is that she not only gave me a chance to land that job, she made sure I had so much fun. The memories alone are more than enough to last me a lifetime. I met so many new friends, rekindled old friendships and brought me closer to my Papa. He kept calling me while I was there, almost everyday. For some reason, we had so much fun chatting that it was like we were in the same place, hanging out. So what began as a fulfilling opportunity became a father-daughter bonding for which I am forever grateful! Thank you so much Mama Mary.

The second thing that I noticed was the indescribable and harmonious way we sang the songs. It was like angels were singing with us. And the choir was very good. The songs chosen were perfect. And everyone was in a great mood. There was no sign of animosity anywhere. Forgive me for my candor but I notice sometimes that some people are in a sour mood while in church. Today was quite different. It was like Mama Mary was there with us! No goosebumps right now, just a warm fuzzy feeling inside that tells me she's always there.

And then while we were singing the final song, all the priests and servants were looking up to Mama Mary with such reverence and respect, such love and adoration, such veneration, that I don't think I'll ever get that mental picture out of my mind. The entire service was that solemn, that awesome. You could feel the palpable presence of God at work right then and there.

The main thing that struck me dumb was the homily. The Father's message is this -- Prayer and Faith must always go together. Faith without prayer is not enough. And it's not enough to have a monologue with our Lord and Saviour, we should take the time to listen to God's message. And the way the celebrant described God's voice really surprised me -- he said we should listen to that small voice in our hearts. Now I understand why they call it God Whispers!

You see I always expected God's voice to be this booming loud voice outside that tells us "It is done!" or "Forgiveness, my child." Never would I have expected that His voice could also be a small voice inside us, in our hearts, that tells us the good news. I guess that's how the Holy Spirit works in our lives, if we let Him. As the mass went on, I kept thinking to myself, "Now I understand what "Holy Trinity, One God" means. I won't elaborate on this anymore because I am afraid I might write the wrong thing. But one thing is for certain, God works in mysterious ways, and the Blessed Virgin Mary is the perfect and most shining example of God's amazing plan for us. All I can say is thank you Mama Mary. I am humbled by your presence in my life, in our lives. And thank you Lord Jesus. Thank you God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. You are awesome!

Before I forget, the message today was simple -- Mama Mary make us instruments of God's love and peace. This we humbly ask in the mighty name of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chitika