Sunday, March 21, 2010

Destination Heaven!


The story of the woman caught in adultery reminds us of the need to look to our own sins and deal with them before we get too involved in exposing the sins of others or casting judgment upon them. “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone,” says Jesus. They all walk away slowly. What does this say to us about ourselves? Are we quick to judge others for their sins? How well do we know ourselves, and how well are we dealing with our own sinful ways?

John 8:1-11

1 Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. 2 But early in the morning he arrived again in the temple area, and all the people started coming to him, and he sat down and taught them. 3 Then the scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery and made her stand in the middle. 4 They said to him, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of committing adultery. 5 Now in the law, Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?” 6 They said this to test him, so that they could have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and began to write on the ground with his finger. 7 But when they continued asking him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 Again he bent down and wrote on the ground. 9 And in response, they went away one by one, beginning with the elders. So he was left alone with the woman before him. 10 Then Jesus straightened up and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one  condemned you?” 11 She replied, “No one, sir.” Then Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you. Go, and from now on do not sin any more.”

my reflections

t h i n k : Are we quick to judge others for their sins? How well do we know ourselves, and how well are we dealing with our own sinful ways?


This is such a sensitive subject, for all of us, I think. The first question that popped into my head after reading this is "Who are we to judge?" And if you only knew how close to home this message has hit me, you would probably go, "tsk, tsk, tsk." Seriously, I know I have strayed so far from the right path that sometimes I think I deserved to be punished as well. I know most of my sins are in my mind and they stretch as far as my imagination takes me. Sounds silly, but it's true. I've been my own worst enemy since I was born, I think.

But just recently, well a year or so ago, I realized that I've become such a cynic too. I don't know when it began. Probably after I left the movement; I won't elaborate on that but needless to say, it's like I've lost my faith in humanity. I'm not kidding! I know I should be more positive, since change is up to each one of us anyway, but I guess I need to get this out of my system so that I can finally let go of everything that's blocking my way and make that first bold step towards redemption.

Yes, it's been a long time coming but all this pent up emotions have been my undoing. I'm no expert but if I were to sum things up, I'd say that rash judgments against yourself and against others eat you up inside. Literally! It leaves you wounded and bare with nowhere else to turn to but God. Seriously, my faith has always been there but I am the first one to admit that my faith has had some beating as well. No, I won't blame those who have hurt me anymore. I'm moving on, after all, right. I guess the only thing left for me now is to forgive myself, accept my mistakes, forget my past sins, deny myself (including materialism, so hard!), pick up my cross, thank Jesus (and my family) for helping me carry it and walk with the Lord once more.

Simple but true. That's my goal and my eye is on the prize now. St. Paul, thank you for opening my eyes. Our prize is salvation and our goal is heaven. So please pray for me and I'll say a little prayer too.

Lord, as I pick up my cross and journey with you, may I never lose sight of our final destination, which is Heaven, and may you always be with me as I move forward. Jesus, I place all my trust in you. Everything I do from now on will be in your service. Please guide me Lord, and be my strength and provider. This I ask, in Jesus' name. Thank you Jesus! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chitika