Saturday, September 1, 2012

What Comes Out Defiles...

GOSPEL

Human traditions derived from the Law are incapable of saving us. Only the power of God is sufficient to save. Tradition, as we have them in our faith, is a useful reminder of various aspects of our faith and may contain essential aspects of it. However, they are incapable of salvation. The Church has two sorts of traditions, one unchangeable and the other optional. It is the former we have to cling to as essential.

GOSPEL ACCLAMATION
The Father willed to give us birth by the word of truth that we may be a kind of first fruits of His creatures.

Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23
1 When the Pharisees with some scribes who had come from Jerusalem gathered around Jesus, 2 they observed that some of his disciples ate their meals with unclean, that is, unwashed, hands. 3 For the Pharisees and, in fact, all Jews, do not eat without carefully washing their hands, keeping the tradition of the elders. 4 And on coming from the marketplace they do not eat without purifying themselves. And there are many other things that they have traditionally observed, the purification of cups and jugs and kettles and beds. 5 So the Pharisees and scribes questioned him, “Why do your disciples not follow the tradition of the elders but instead eat a meal with unclean hands?” 6 He responded, “Well did Isaiah prophesy about you hypocrites, as it is written: ‘This people honors me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me; 7 In vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines human precepts.’ 8 You disregard God’s commandment but cling to human tradition.” 14 He summoned the crowd again and said to them, “Hear me, all of you, and understand. 15 Nothing that enters one from outside can defile that person; but the things that come out from within are what defile.” 21 From within people, from their hearts, come evil thoughts, unchastity, theft, murder, 22 adultery, greed, malice, deceit, licentiousness, envy, blasphemy, arrogance, folly. 23 All these evils come from within and they defile.”

Wow! The timing, I think is perfect, for this Gospel passage to appear in my inbox today.

I just received the Sacrament of Confession yesterday and yet I am already guilty of the last three verses. I find this alarming, knowing that being unclean really has a bad effect on me. I may not have murdered anyone but if my thoughts could kill, I would be in jail right now. Well, not just for today but for the past 5 years.

I have confessed these thoughts time and again yet they linger like an unwanted visitor that never goes away no matter how much you hint at them to leave.

Yes, this is my folly. And yet I remain hopeful somehow. I don't know but yesterday's confession gave me more than I expected or hoped for. A glimmer of hope that things will be alright. That even though some remnants of that old trauma and ill feelings still linger, my future is bright. And even though I am too hard on myself sometimes, I feel the stirrings of renewed self-love -- something that has been sorely missing from my life and my heart for so many years.

Lord Jesus, I praise You and thank You for giving me hope. Please help me so that this self-love will not turn into arrogance and instead flicker on and stay like a good friend and keep me inspired. Keep me grounded and show me the Way, Lord Jesus. Never ever leave my side as, with Your help and guidance, I try to figure out what our Father's will is for me. Yes, Lord Jesus, I understand now that this is going to be very difficult so teach me to trust in You more and be quick to seek Your help and less hasty to judge others and myself. Stay with me Lord Jesus and help me fulfill Your plan for my life. Thank You, Lord Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chitika