Saturday, June 16, 2012

The Union of the Two Hearts


GOSPEL

Jesus is an obedient child — He does as He is told to do. Later He will encourage us all to embrace the need to become like little children as we seek to respond to the Gospel. It is the purity of a child’s heart, always trusting in the inherent goodness of his/her parents, that is essential in the life of a disciple. Nothing gets done unless we are willing to trust that God desires the best for us.

GOSPEL ACCLAMATION
Blessed is the Virgin Mary who kept the word of God and pondered it in her heart.

Luke 2:41-52
41 Each year Jesus’ parents went to Jerusalem for the feast of Passover, 42 and when he was twelve years old, they went up according to festival custom. 43 After they had completed its days, as they were returning, the boy Jesus remained behind in Jerusalem, but his parents did not know it. 44 Thinking that he was in the caravan, they journeyed for a day and looked for him among their relatives and acquaintances, 45 but not finding him, they returned to Jerusalem to look for him. 46 After three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions, 47 and all who heard him were astounded at his understanding and his answers. 48 When his parents saw him, they were astonished, and his mother said to him, “Son, why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been looking for you with great anxiety.” 49 And he said to them, “Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father’s house?” 50 But they did not understand what he said to them. 51 He went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was obedient to them; and his mother kept all these things in her heart. 52 And Jesus advanced in wisdom and age and favor before God and man.

think: It is the purity of a child’s heart, always trusting in the inherent goodness of his/her parents, that is essential in the life of a disciple.

HEART TO HEART

When I was young, my mother used to dictate to me the answer to the perennial question: What do you want to be when you grow up? At first, it was to be a doctor, then a lawyer. But this childhood fancy would keep changing as I grew up.
High school was entirely different. I started to think independently from my mother. Suddenly, I was fancying journalism, advertising, etc. But whenever I would be asked to sign slambooks, I would jokingly write: to be a priest. For somebody like me, it was meant to be a joke.
But apparently the Lord read my joke and took it seriously.
My mother was frustrated that her easy-go-lucky, youngest son wanted to enter the seminary. But to give in to her longing and obsession, I entered the University of the Philippines for college and became known as the only boy in our part of Tondo to enter U.P. Oh, how proud my mother was! But at 18, I decided to leave U.P. and prepare for my entrance to the seminary. My mother was surprised that I came home in the middle of the week. The statue of the Virgin Mary, which was being brought to different houses in our block, was in our home that week, as if she was there to help explain my predicament to my mother. It pained my mother no end to think that I would enter the seminary. It broke her heart. Yet it was necessary.
In the Gospel, the Lord has come of age quite early. He was 12. Mary’s heart was broken when they could not find Him for three days. Finally, they found Him at the temple in a discussion with the high priests.
Jesus now has a mind of His own, knowing very well the mission He had to undertake later. It broke the heart of Mary. Her Son, in no time, would live a life and mission of His own. Letting go of Him was difficult. It broke the heart of Mary. Yet, it was necessary.
He broke her heart so these broken pieces may be one with His. From then on, Mary understood. She owned the mission and longing of Jesus, in the union of the two hearts! Fr. Erick Y. Santos, SFO

REFLECTION QUESTION: What heartbreaking experiences did you have which made you a whole and better person?

Lord, let the longings of my heart be united to Yours. Thank You Lord Jesus and Mama Mary. Amen.

Source: http://www.kerygmafamily.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chitika