Sunday, May 15, 2011

Good Shepherd Sunday Reflections

Today is Good Shepherd Sunday. The Psalm passage is my favorite.


P S A L M

Psalms 23:1-3, 3-4, 5, 6
R: The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 In verdant pastures he gives me repose; beside restful waters he leads me; 3 he refreshes my soul. (R) He guides me in right paths for his name’s sake. 4 Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil; for you are at my side with your rod and your staff that give me courage. (R) 5 You spread the table before me in the sight of my foes; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. (R) 6 Only goodness and kindness follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come. (R)

The second reading is just as moving. A gentle reminder of our return to our Good Shepherd, our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.


2nd READING

It is interesting to study the nature and dynamic of a flock of sheep. I come from a country where flocks of sheep can number in the tens of thousands, something that would not have really been in the mind of the Gospel writers of Jesus’ time where flocks were probably more like 20–50 sheep in size! However, there are some aspects of small flocks that still hold true for big flocks. One of these is that if you can get a few to move in a particular direction, very often the rest will follow. This is an important dynamic to understand if we want to be able to provide an example for the many through a small group. This is an important aspect of evangelization – one that is becoming ever more important considering the size of the task of evangelization today.

1 Peter 2:20-25
20 Beloved: If you are patient when you suffer for doing what is good, this is a grace before God. 21 For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example that you should follow in his footsteps. 22 “He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth.”  23 When he was insulted, he returned no insult; when he suffered, he did not threaten; instead, he handed himself over to the one who judges justly. 24 He himself bore our sins in his body upon the cross, so that, free from sin, we might live for righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed. 25 For you had gone astray like sheep, but you have now returned to the shepherd and guardian of your souls.

Thank you Jesus for this gentle reminder that you will always be the guardian and lover of our souls. May we always adore and praise and worship and honor and love You Lord Jesus Christ, our Saviour and friend. Our Good Shepherd. Praise You Jesus. Thank You Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chitika